Monday, June 18, 2007

The first entry.

My daughter, Mary Croom, opened this blog for me today. I know almost nothing about it but I must start somewhere. I hope to use this blog to post interesting hands from tournaments and OKBridge, comments about conventions and systems I play, copies of convention cards my partners and I use, and comments about bridge from my friends and partners. One of the first things I want to post is the unedited copy of an article about kid bridge, teaching children to play bridge, that was first published in the January 1999 ACBL Bulletin. I am open to any ideas that anyone may have that will improve this blog.

3 comments:

todd said...

Thomas, you're blogging! This is very exciting.

Unknown said...

Thomas - thank you for your starting your Blog. I will bookmark it in my favorites to remind myself to check it periodically, which was my number one concern about you switching from e-mails to a blog.

I should also report that in the last two days I have taught 6 brand new recruits how to play bridge. I was assisted in this by Todd Keithley, who gave me some teaching strategy advice over the phone and e-mailed me a sample of his new-player cheat-sheet on Sunday.

The first three were Betsy (a neonatologist), Cort (a poet), and Kate (a photographer who works selling fancy shoes and purses). All are good friend, whom Lisa invited over to learn bridge because I had told her that for my birthday, which was Sunday, I wanted to teach some people how to play bridge. They were excellent pupils. We learned all the basics of playing, opening bids through (and including) 2 clubs (strong, artificial, and forcing), basic responses, and overcalls. we played about five hands, well past everyone's bed time.

Then yesterday, after finishing submitting a grant to the National Institutes of Health, I taught some new players at my lab: Kevin (senior post-doc), Jackie (tech/future medical student), and Pei-Lin (tech/medical student). They were also excellent pupils, and we accomplished about as much as the group from Sunday. I didn't teach our boss Noah Craft, since he already knows how to play.

Well, I mention this because it is all a consequence of Thomas' evangelism for the game. I doubt I can keep up my current rate of three new players per day, but I plan to keep going with the current crop.

Anyone who has thoughts on a set of goals for the second lesson: please post.

Ron Birnbaum

Randy McDow said...

Todd, would you please post your cheat sheet?